Bronx, NY asked in Landlord - Tenant for New York

Q: Can I take a management company to court, because they are charging me for a whole year or rent?

I broke the contract because I was getting away from an abusive relationship. I gave the company a 30 day notice and submitted proof of order of protections. I received a letter back stating that I was able to leave but they will stay with the deposit. Please advice.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Toshinori Isoai
Toshinori Isoai
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • New City, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: From the question, I'm assuming that you had a lease but sent a notice to the landlord/management company and left the premises. Your lease needs to be reviewed carefully, but probably you will be deemed to have breached the contract by leaving without paying before the lease expires.

Lease agreements in New York often include what's called an "accelerated rent clause" where it says something like "...upon default in the payment of the rent, the whole of the rent for the balance of the term shall at once become due and payable without any notice or demand."

This kind of acceleration clause in a residential lease is generally valid and enforceable with some exceptions.

HOWEVER, if the lease does not impose certain obligations on the landlord, then the clause can be deemed to impose a penalty and is not enforceable.

Although many landlords often attempt to keep your deposit in response to any kind of default by tenants, it's generally illegal. Certain specific elements must be proved by the landlord (in court) in order for him to justify "taking" your deposit.

I recommend you consult with an attorney who should review your lease very carefully. Reviewing your residential lease, providing comments and advising your options shouldn't cost you much.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.