Asked in Divorce, Family Law and Domestic Violence for Texas

Q: May I request that Tolling begin from the end date of my completion of intensive Cognitive Behavioral Therapy?

Emotionally distraught from witnessing the aggravated kidnapping of my children 3 mts prior, I did not have the mental capacity to give an accurate testimony regarding domestic violence that frequently occurred in my home. He knew what absconding with our children would do to my emotional disposition. The frivolous divorce suite he filed was just a smoke and mirrors act conjured up to discredit my testimony during his criminal trial. There were so many times during our marriage where I had to convince him not to carry out his terroristic threats to commit manslaughter of the children and myself. After sequestering them for 3 mts., I knew that if I should decide to testify against him during any court proceedings, he would definitely carry out his threats to kill us. There were 32 reported incidents of DV when the DA finally held him accountable for ONE! Although we were his victims, our complete isolation initially prevented my knowledge of the PO and his pending criminal proceedings.

1 Lawyer Answer
Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Austin, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Tolling what? The protective order? The duration of a Family Violence Protective Order is set at the time of the original order and it is not possible to extend an order through the modification process. However, it is possible to extend a protective order if it expires while the respondent is still in prison.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.