Saint Charles, MO asked in Child Support for Missouri

Q: Does RECEIVED child support affect PAID child support?

I want to preface this with the fact I’m in the state of Missouri. I filed for child support through the state to my sons father. He put on his form14 that his income is $1100/month (Unemployment- he’s laid off cause of Covid) & left out the $1,700 a month in child support he receives for his other 2 children. (One mom pays $1,400 the other $300) I filled out the paperwork when I was also unemployed however I am back to work now & my daycare is $800 a month. The court is saying his child support is $153/month & I’m wondering if it’s even realistic to fight it. He COULD go get a job and he COULD earn more money but he doesn’t because he gets all the child support from the other 2. So now he’s a home owner with a brand new car while I’m 20 years younger than him struggling to take care of our 6 month old completely alone who he NEVER sees. I just think it’s ridiculous he gets $1400/month for 50% time while I get $153/month for 100% time. Please someone tell me if it doesn’t matter.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Paul Ylvisaker
Paul Ylvisaker
  • Sierra Vista , AZ
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: Receipt of child support is not considered income to the party receiving it. That money is the contribution of the other parent toward the support of the other parents’ children. In fact, he gets a credit for the 3 other children in his household for his financial support for the children in his household.

Attributing minimum wage to an unemployed individual is the default for all states, unless it can be demonstrated to Court’s satisfaction by evidence of prior history of employment that he or she should be attributed more. The pandemic has made that difficult with many laid off from for such a long period of time.

Because his income is the determinative factor, using the numbers you provided suggests the Court had to deviate upwards to give you any child support at all, instead of what would normally be $0.00. This is based on application of a state’s minimum support guidelines for the parent, not including the children (adjusted gross income less 80% of the state’s minimum wage usually), which would have given a negative figure in your case.

Not the information you were hoping for, but hopefully useful in your decision whether to move forward or not.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.