Orlando, FL asked in Divorce, Family Law and Child Custody for Florida

Q: Can I lose custody of my kids?

My kids were born and raised in Central Florida. I was living in Orlando for a year with my kids while my husband was living in Boston. He moved to South Florida and insisted the kids go there. The kids and I stayed there for 3 weeks until his emotional/verbal abuse got to be too much and CPS got involved because of an incident involving him and one of the kids. I fled to Orlando with the kids and re-established our lives-they attend school here, I have an apartment and a job here. He has a lawyer and fighting to get them back to South Florida. I do not have anyone to represent me so I feel lost.

1 Lawyer Answer
Vanessa Vasquez de Lara
Vanessa Vasquez de Lara
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Miami, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: There's a lot of issues here that you would really need an attorney to give you advice based on the specifics of your case. Family court is intended to make orders that are in the children's best interest. If the Department of Children and Families has already been involved against him, that is something the court needs to be told.

When parents don't live in the same place, the court does a long distance time sharing schedule since the kids will need to go to school in one place and spend vacations in another. A good attorney can help you make sure you put your best foot forward in court.

Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.