Brooklyn, NY asked in Child Support for New York

Q: My husband owes back child support but is paying. We want to buy a house. If his name is on the deed and he falls behind

in support in the future can they put a lean on our home? If so, would leaving him off the deed prevent that?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Howard E. Knispel
Howard E. Knispel
  • Commack, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: If his ex gets a judgment for support arrears that becomes a lien on property. If his name is on the deed the judgment will need to be satisfied. If his name is not on the deed, the judgment can not attach to the property.

Paul Ylvisaker agrees with this answer

Paul Ylvisaker
Paul Ylvisaker

A: Yes and yes dependent upon state you live in. Property can be liened. Consult an experienced family law attorney to determine the specifics of your state. States have far reaching authority to lien assets, up to and including social security.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.