Sparks, NV asked in Divorce for Nevada

Q: What to file with the court to notify of a spousal support pre payment ? Just so our case reflects the new ss end date

My ex was ordered to pay a car loan (the loan is in both our names) per our divorce decree, she is having trouble paying it, she has agreed to let me pay off the loan and deduct that amount from the remaining spousal support. What paperwork can we file with the court so this gets logged in our case and reflects the new spousal support end date ? My divorce decree says I can pre pay the spousal support at any time, state is in Nevada btw. Thanks in advance

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bonnie M Lonardo
Bonnie M Lonardo
  • Las Vegas, NV
  • Licensed in Nevada

A: I would recommend that you file a stipulation to modify the current spousal support court order. The modification should represent the new, agreed upon alimony amount that reflects what was deducted due to the car payment. Any other pre-payment should be made in the form of a check that is thoroughly documented to prove payment was made and received ahead of the deadlines issued in your court order.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.