Vancouver, WA asked in Landlord - Tenant for Oregon

Q: Can landlord fail to maintain property, come by unannounced/ inappropriate hours and charge for work that the state req

Landlord does not do yard, I have no door knob, heater doesn't work and he comes by unannounced and late. The state is charging him for the unpaved driveway and he is trying to charge me.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Gregory L Abbott
Gregory L Abbott
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: If you have submitted a repair or maintenance request, such as for a door knob or to fix the heater, a landlord may enter without previous 24 hour notice to you within 7 days of the repair request. Otherwise, they need to provide at least 24 hrs notice unless it is a true emergency. If the landlord enters without giving the advanced notice (if required) and without your permission, and you can prove it, it likely is worth a month's rent to you plus your court costs and attorneys fees. Also realize that just because the landlord gives you 24 hr notice, or shows up without prior notice, either way you are free to tell him no, it is not convenient right then and he may not enter (or has to leave).

The driveway issue is unclear - why is the State charging him for an unpaved driveway and why does he think you should pay for it? It makes little sense without further information.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.