Louisville, KY asked in Immigration Law for Virginia

Q: Will a pending divorce cause issues when reentering the country as a permanent resident who has its 10 year card?

After various attempts on fixing our marriage we decided it was broken and divorce is the best thing for us. Will this cause me any issues?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin L Dixler
Kevin L Dixler
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Chicago, IL

A: Attorneys often have concerns about ‘when’ a client will return once they have to take care of a sick relative. What starts as three weeks and last three, five, ten months or over a year. This can eventually bring into question whether a person’s permanent residence is located in the United States. Also whether they intend to make their permanent residence in the United States.

It is best to find caregivers, when possible, but visit, not be drawn into long term care. This is a common reason for people to lose and never regain their lawful permanent resident status.

As a result, I strongly recommend an appointment or teleconference with a competent and experienced immigration attorney. One, who can spend enough time to discuss appropriate options and provide reasonable legal advice. This way, you can make the best decision for you.

The above is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.