Waco, TX asked in Real Estate Law for Texas

Q: my grandma was married, they got a house but only his name was on deed. He passes away but my grandmother pays the house

off. 30 years later my grandma is wanting to put the house in my name. How do we go about doing so? Also I’ve went down to try and find the deed but was unsuccessful. He also had children, will they be a problem trying to transfer it over to me?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery

A: You will need a competent attorney to conduct a title search. If there was no Probate, then the attorney should determine heirship and draft an Affidavit of Heirship, which is executed and recorded.

That Affidavit will serve as the source of title for the owners whoever they are. You might get a deed from the other heirs of their interests. Hire a competent attorney, not a title co.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.