Smithville, TN asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Alabama

Q: Can my ex go to jail if she has been keeping my child from me when we have a court order and I have been paying child?

We have been to court and we have a court order stating that I get her every other weekend from 6pm Friday to 6pm Sunday. I have been paying child support and have not seen my child one also she want give me a contact number or updates on my daughter.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Paul Ylvisaker
Paul Ylvisaker
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Sierra Vista , AZ

A: There are no criminal penalties for denying you court ordered parenting time. However, there are enforcement remedies in the family law court that can include sanctions for attorney’s fees and costs for having to return to court to enforce its orders. Additionally, dependent upon the nature of the violations it can result in changes to parenting time and even custody of the child, as well as, a corresponding change to child support.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.