Tucson, AZ asked in Child Support for Arizona

Q: I have questions about modifying child support

My stepdaughter's mother does not work(by choice) she relies on her husband to support their family. My husband and I both work, I am trying to figure out how to properly do the child support calculator to have an idea of what we should look at when we go to court to modify. I am wondering if I calculate it with her husband's income or with what she would potentially be making if she went back to work?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Paul Ylvisaker
Paul Ylvisaker
  • Sierra Vista , AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: Only the two legal parents income is counted. There may be an indirect consideration of the court for household income, but that is not a legal consideration and the court should be reminded of that. If the other parent is unemployed, for a variety of reasons the court may only attribute fulltime minimum wage to other parent versu what that individual is capable of earning by education, former employment, and experience (including how long since the parent last worked in position). That is a fact specific determination and the court has the authority to deviate from calculation provided it gives specific reasons. There are other factors to consider including how many minor children in each household, parenting time, who pays medical, and childcare, etc.

most states have a form of calculator online that you can use to estimate what a modification to child support might be.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.