Hesperia, CA asked in Consumer Law, Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Municipal Law for California

Q: Can city ordinance mandate the requirement of rental/leasing agreements to as establish water service at a residence?

Is it possible that city ordinance can violate civil liberties of squatters adverse possession rights by requesting rental or leasing agreements to establish water service on the property? My mother passed 8 yrs ago. My sister and I have payed back taxes for 5 years and established gas, electric, and cable services at the property without the need of a lease or rental agreement. The Adelanto water refuse to establish service with those documents. We do not want to lose $10k by opening probate.

I’m 100% certain that this ordinance is violating my squatters rights and I’m interested in getting this ordinance removed. I believe that this is also an intrusion upon my seclusion and I have a reasonable expectation of privacy. They do not need to anything but my SS#, California ID, credit card or banking information to establish service. I also believe that they are operating outside of the scope of their authority.

1 Lawyer Answer
Louis George Fazzi
Louis George Fazzi
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Jess Ranch, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You definitely need to consult with a lawyer experienced in civil rights law. You can go to the San Bernardino County Bar Association's website ( http://www.sbcba.org/) and click on their Lawyer's Referral Service link to help you find an appropriate attorney who can help you. Do not delay or you may lose your right to sue. A competent civil rights lawyer will know how to get paid, because there is a fee statute (law) which requires a government defendant to pay the attorney's fees for a violation of a person's civil rights.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.