Huntington Beach, CA asked in Internet Law, Libel & Slander and Criminal Law for California

Q: One of my social media followers has been harassing me for 3+ years and I don't talk to her. How can I get her to stop?

She has been "stalking" me for 4-5 years. She follows all my business/social media activity and anytime I do something, she spams negative reviews, makes defamatory comments about me, has messaged 50+ of my friends/colleagues speaking poorly of me. This is hurting my business because being engaged in social media is important and I can't post anything about my business without her harassing me. She abuses my email (signs me up for email newsletters), leaves inappropriate posts on colleagues social media pages, leaves negative reviews, comments negatively on all my social media posts, she's created 20-50 fake accounts to harass me. I have screenshots of a lot of her harassing posts (posted using fake/anonymous accounts). I know her full name/city location. She likely has mental illnesses. 2-3 years I told her to stop or I may take legal action and she doesn't seem to care and continues to harass me. What can I do to get her to stop? I don't want to incite her to harass me more. Thanks.

1 Lawyer Answer
Theodore Allan Greene
Theodore Allan Greene
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You can get a civil restraining order. You can sue her as well. You have a very tough row to hoe.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.