Altamonte Springs, FL asked in Landlord - Tenant for Florida

Q: Can my Landlord ask me or try to force me to renew my lease before it is up

Barry W. Kaufman
Barry W. Kaufman
  • Jacksonville, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: He can certainly ask you whether you intend to enter a new lease term. You probably have a condition in your lease in which you must notify him of your plans to renew.

Bruce Alexander Minnick agrees with this answer

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Tallahassee, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Not unless the lease says they can. Most landlords in today's environment are desperate and want to "lock in" their good tenants as early as possible, for reasons that should be apparent to you. You can "bargain them down" by agreeing to extend early in return for cheaper rent.