Albany, NY asked in Health Care Law for New York

Q: Are we able to sue to doctor for the recommendation he gave that damager my Fiancé permanently?

My Fiance back in October was rushed into the hospital for sever appendicitis. The doctor told my Fiance she needs to wait a couple months before getting the appendix removed. We asked if waiting will cause any complications. He said no just that you are prone to appendicitis now. We just moved to New York. My Fiancé has seen her Gynecologic and new surgeon. They both told my Fiancé she can no longer have kids because the appendicitis damaged her ovaries and fallopian tube. They said keeping the appendix in for this long caused the damage to her reproductive system. Supposedly this is a common thing with appendicitis. Are we able to sue the original doctor for not telling us about this and recommending something that has permanently damaged my fiance?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: I'm sorry for you and your fiancé's ordeal. Given the basic and general format of this Q & A board, it would be difficult for an attorney to advise meaningfully, as this is a complex matter that would involve a file review and opinions from medical professionals. You could reach out to med mal attorneys to discuss in greater detail. Most law firms offer free initial consults. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.