Asked in Landlord - Tenant and Real Estate Law for Oregon

Q: My tenant broke his lease, but paid the remaining 3 months rent left on his lease. Am I now allowed to rent the house?

I heard you’re not allowed to rent your house before the original lease expires (because you’d essentially be getting double rent). But the former tenant broke the lease of his own choice and paid the remaining rent of his own choice too. Must I keep my house vacant for 3 months?

1 Lawyer Answer
Gregory L Abbott
Gregory L Abbott
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: As long as it is clear that the tenant has abandoned or otherwise terminated his tenancy, you are free to re-assume possession and rent it out. IF you rent it out prior to the remaining three months on the ex-tenant's lease, and for which you have been paid in full, you must refund to the ex-tenant on a daily pro-rated basis, rent from whenever the new tenant assumes liability. You are correct that you cannot collect "double rent" however unless it is in the form of an early termination clause in a written lease providing for you charging up to a month and a half rent to terminate the lease. Your situation is why many landlords have shifted to using the early termination clause in their leases - in the current rental climate, most landlords can re-rent in less than 1 1/2 months so they make more money by getting to keep the month and a half's rent and getting a new paying tenant in asap. But either way, you apparently currently need to simply re-rent and refund the balance of the pre-paid rent once you do. You also are obligated to make reasonable efforts to re-rent rather than just sit back for the 3 months without trying to re-rent, if you want to be able to keep any of those 3 months rent.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.