Los Angeles, CA asked in Employment Discrimination and Employment Law for California

Q: I quit my job with an employer because i was harrased everyday about my vegetarian diet but i never told anybody it was

Personal religious dietary choice as a follower of buddhism. I never really much spoke up to the people harrassing me or my employer about the harrasment and why that was the reason i really stopped working there, was this wrong of me to do and was it legal even if i did not speak up about the daily abuse?

William John Light
William John Light
  • Riverside, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If you don't speak up, your employer has no way of knowing that it should protect you from religious discrimination. Unless the person harassing you was a corporate officer or managing agent, you do not have a case.

Tim Akpinar agrees with this answer

Theodore Allan Greene
Theodore Allan Greene
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You need to sit down with an employment attorney and get into more of the details. You might have some options but more specific information is needed.

Tim Akpinar agrees with this answer

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow
  • Palm Desert, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: more info needed.

if you did not complain to your employer you would have an uphill battle to prevail.

how would they know they were not being sensitive and that it was a religious basis for your position?

Tim Akpinar agrees with this answer

Neil Pedersen
Neil Pedersen
  • Employment Law Lawyer
  • Westminster, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: The answers you have already received certainly make clear that you should have put the employer on notice. I agree that in most situations, a failure to complain about the harassment to your employer will prevent you from bringing a meritorious legal claim. However, if you supervisor was one of those people harassing you, the company can be liable for that harassment, even if you did not report it to the employer. If your supervisor was involved in the harassment it would be a wise idea to locate and consult with an experienced employment law attorney as soon as possible to explore your facts and determine your options. I would suggest you look either on this site, or go to www.cela.org, the home page for the California Employment Lawyers Association, an organization whose members are dedicated to the representation of employees against their employers.

Most employment attorneys who practice this area of law offer a free or low cost consultation in the beginning and then, if the matter has merit and value, will usually agree to work on a contingency basis, meaning you can hire an attorney without paying any money until the matter results in a positive outcome for you. Many advance all the costs of the litigation as well. Do not let fear of fees and costs keep you from finding a good attorney.

Good luck to you.

Maurice Mandel II and Tim Akpinar agree with this answer