Madison, IN asked in Criminal Law for Indiana

Q: Can you be held accountable for failure to appear if incarcerated in another county jail the day your being charged?

My boyfriend got arrested in dubois county on 2/4/2021 to them find out he had a writ body attachment on him dated 2/6/2020 from crawford county for failure to appear but he was incarcerated in pike County jail the day he is being charged? Is this really legal? Now dubois county is holding him till crawford county decides to come transfer him to their facility.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Andrew L. Bennett
Andrew L. Bennett
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Valparaiso, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: Yes, it is a common occurrence and the Crawford Co. court put the detainer on him to make sure he appears in court. DuBois County must honor the warrant until Crawford Co. jail can arrange transport. The Crawford Co. court will want to know why when he was released in Pike Co. did he not contact Crawford to tell them he was incarcerated on the day he FTA'd and get a request a new date.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.