Tucson, AZ asked in Family Law for Arizona

Q: Can my coparent prevent me from moving?

So I'm co parenting right now, we have nothing legal, nothing on paper and no court documents, everything is verbal. I'd like to move to a different town, nothing would change regarding my job because i'd transfer, or regarding my kids, i'd have them the same days I do now, only difference would be a 1 hour trip, she is stating that she wont allow the kids to move that far, but besides her saying she doesn't want it to happen, can she actually prevent me from moving and having the kids on my days unless a court orders it?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mike Branum
Mike Branum
  • Saint George, UT
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: As long as you are not crossing any state lines, there is little she can do in Court to prevent you from moving or punishing you if you do so against her wishes. You really should attempt to negotiate an agreement with her if you can. Especially if you are not looking to go to Court. Maybe offer to do more than half the driving?

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.