Friendsville, TN asked in Real Estate Law for Tennessee

Q: I want to file a lien to secure my interest in the property I’ve been living on.

We have lived here on the same property for 16 years. I want to file a lien so that I can recoup my money and interest that I have in this property. We have improved the land, maintained the road, kept up with the renter and his payments, have paid several years property taxes, and the list goes on. It was to be deeded to us but that deal was backed out of. Property is owned by husbands father. Father has not engaged in any way to maintain the property or tenant. All responsibilities were placed on us when he left.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Everything you have done will probably be deemed a gift and/or rent payment.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.