Vermilion, OH asked in Civil Rights for Ohio

Q: The victim is looking for financial restitution for a crime my minor son committed, what are our obligations?

My son pled guilty to vandalism and breaking and entering, he is 12. We have received a letter from the victim's lawyer asking for restitution. In Ohio, I know we are not legally responsible for our son's crime however, can they come at us with a civil suit? If so, how do I respond to this lawyer?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Cleveland, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: The juvenile court cannot order you to pay restitution for a juvenile. But, you are not entirely correct about not being legally responsible. The victim can file a civil lawsuit against the parents of a juvenile to recover damages. Read this:

2 users found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.