Nevada City, CA asked in Health Care Law, Libel & Slander, Medical Malpractice and Personal Injury for California

Q: Can a Hospital remove and seal your medical records from you and a lawyer and the courts?

I am a victim of the Talc Powder lawsuits. I underwent a total hysterectomy, there were post operative complications. The doctor who preformed the surgery was brought up on 2 malpractice lawsuits that I knew nothing about. Resultantly being fired from the hospital and loosing the benefit of performing any surgeries, ever. As I stated above, I am a victim in the class action suit above. I signed a release of medical records for the attorney. I received an email telling me the hospital sent 11 pages.! I have been a patient of this hospital for more than 20+ yrs.I am disabled and sorry to say have visited them numerous times in the 20+ and had a few hospital stays and surgeries.Being annoyed I researched other means of proving my medical history. Tired of arguing with the hospital anytime I go in, that I had a Hysterectomy performed by them..and being told there is no record of that proceedure.I found 149 documents supporting and diagnosing me & my claim.Is the hospital in the right?

1 Lawyer Answer
Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow
  • Palm Desert, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: your lawyer should address this issue for you.

it is not something you should be responsible for doing.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.