Panorama City, CA asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Business Formation and Business Law for California

Q: Is it legal for a company to charge me for not being enrolled in autopay? I'm being charged 7.50 a month, seems illegal.

The company is Sunrun and based out of Denver Co, I am in the state of Ca.

2 Lawyer Answers
William John Light
William John Light
  • Riverside, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Under California law, an employer may lawfully deduct the following from an employee's wages:

1. Deductions that are required of the employer by federal or state law, such as income taxes or garnishments.

2. Deductions expressly authorized in writing by the employee to cover insurance premiums, hospital or medical dues or other deductions not amounting to a rebate or deduction from the wage paid to the employee.

3. Deductions authorized by a collective bargaining or wage agreement, specifically to cover health and welfare or pension payments.

Without knowing whether you have authorized a deduction to your paycheck, or whether you are governed by a collective bargaining agreement that authorizes this deduction, it would be impossible to render an opinion.

You can file a complaint with the Labor Commissioner to find out, or attempt to hire an attorney.

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing

A: Companies can give a preferential rate if someone signs up with autopay. Are you being billed extra because you are not or did you just choose the non-autopay option?

Depending on the industry, file a complaint with whoever regulates that industry.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.