Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Maine

Q: Can my landlord kick me out for filing a complaint regarding my family’s safety?

We filed a complaint that snowmobiles being started in the garage below us were causing gas fumes in our home. I have a pregnant wife and three small children home all day having to breathe it. Our land lord says they should be able to use their garage how they please without worrying about gas fumes. They have now given us a 60 day notice to leave due to my complaint. Can I file a lawsuit?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Fred Bopp III
Fred Bopp III
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Yarmouth, ME
  • Licensed in Maine

A: The question is whether the landlord's use of the garage "renders the dwelling unit unfit for human habitation." If so, "then a tenant may file a complaint against the landlord in the District Court or Superior Court. The complaint shall state that:

A. A condition, which shall be described, endangers or materially impairs the health or safety of the tenants;

B. The condition was not caused by the tenant or another person acting under his control;

C. Written notice of the condition without unreasonable delay, was given to the landlord or to the person who customarily collects rent on behalf of the landlord;

D. The landlord unreasonably failed under the circumstances to take prompt, effective steps to repair or remedy the condition; and

E. The tenant was current in rental payments owing to the landlord at the time written notice was given.

The notice requirement of paragraph C may be satisfied by actual notice to the person who customarily collects rents on behalf of the landlord." 14 M.R.S. § 6021(3).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.