Lakeland, FL asked in Family Law and Real Estate Law for Florida

Q: I. My ex husband stayed in marital home. He was to refinance and take me off deed. Never did. I didnt right split equity

We verbally discussed if sell he buys me out. I paid mortgage 16 years and 5 months after I left.

The house has a contract for sale. He didn't pay mortgage nov and dec hurting my credit. Can I refuse to sign deed unless he pays me half equity

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rand Scott Lieber
Rand Scott Lieber
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: To pursue a legal remedy you need to go back to your marital settlement agreement or final judgment. You either have to follow what the agreement says or go back to court if you cannot agree. If you have a legitimate claim you can file a lis pendens with the court. That will notify any buyers that you have a claim on the house.

You should speak with a local family lawyer or real estate lawyer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.