Concord, NC asked in Family Law, Legal Malpractice and Social Security for North Carolina

Q: Can the mother of my children be my legal guardian and representative payee?

I am legally declared incompetent and my mother is my legal guardian and payee. We are awaiting a hearing. DSS attorney will be present.

1 Lawyer Answer
Kenneth Prigmore
Kenneth Prigmore

A: Legal guardians need to be a responsible adult. If the judge is convinced the person you request is responsible and they have your interests in mind, that change should not be a problem.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.