Southfield, MI asked in Education Law for Michigan

Q: Please advise what behaviors of a teacher are considered abuse/misconduct that breach the law.

My sons teacher is intentionally shaming, humiliating and ostracizing him socially. She would not allow him to sit in a chair like the rest of the class and was forced to stand or sit on floor. Today she forced him to stand in hallway she refuses to give him class work and then punishes him for not doing his work, she forbids any of the other classmates to play with him at recess or even talk to him. This is a daily occurrence every day she does something extremely humiliating to him upon him entering the classroom. Is this illegal and can I file a complaint.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Can you file a complaint? Absolutely? Is it illegal? Probably not. I'm assuming you've tried to resolve these issues with the teacher already. Your next step should be to the principal, and that communication should be along the lines of "I talked to the teacher of March 5th about my son having to sit on the floor. She says it's because of X, but agreed not to do it anymore. On March 8, my son reports he was again placed on the floor, which Teacher refuses to acknowledge. I don't think it's appropriate and would like your help to address it".

Keep going up the chain if you have to. But realize that as much as we love our children, there may be a reasonable explanation for what your son is saying. But you are otherwise well within your rights to question and demand answers. It just doesn't sound like something you need "the law" involved.

Kimberly Winslow agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.