Sacramento, CA asked in Family Law and Child Custody for California

Q: Can I move more than 100 miles away, not out of state, without the fathers permission? We are not married.

We are not married and never have been. For the most part the father has been absent during the pregnancy and begged for an abortion/ adoption. The father will not be on the birth certificate. I plan to move to Fort Bragg in two weeks where I will have family support, less bills and will overall be able to provide my child with a better and happier life.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tobie Brina Waxman
Tobie Brina Waxman
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Culver City, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If there are no custody orders in place (i.e. signed by a judge and filed with the court) and no petition for custody or visitation have been filed, you are free to move wherever and whenever you want.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.