Longboat Key, FL asked in Employment Discrimination for Florida

Q: FLA: Can an employer change a salaried person to a paid-by-the-day employee due to their being diagnosed with cancer?

Cancer diagnosis in December 2020. Was out most of January, began coming back part time in February, but has always been available from home via phone or email Now working 30-40 hours onsite. Association board has stated that the employee will now be paid only for the days he is physically at work. This seems shady to me. The employee in question is the manager of the building and is capable of working from home occasionally, but is required to be onsite the majority of the time. It's only been 2.5 months since diagnosis and the employee is now concerned that he is going to eventually be forced out of his job and lose his insurance.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
  • Employment Law Lawyer
  • Tallahassee, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: If you feel you have been discriminated against because of your race, gender national origin or because have a disability, or feel you have been retaliated against for speaking out or asserting your legal rights in the workplace, you should contact the Florida Commission on Human Relations (FCHR) here in Tallahassee. The FCHR's toll free telephone number is (800) 342 8170; or you can call them at (850) 488 7082. If you do call, ask to speak with an Intake Counselor. IMPORTANT: You do not need a lawyer to file an FCHR case; but retaining one to advise you BEFORE you file a Charge of Discrimination at FCHR will help get through the bureaucracy much easier and faster. (Note: Advisory legal fees are usually much lower than representation fees; and many are on a flat fee basis. So be sure to ask the lawyers you call how much they will charge just to advise you as you go through the FCHR process.)

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.