Asked in Criminal Law for Tennessee

Q: Can a person facing a life sentence get an attorney for a felony murder

My boyfriend is currently 37 years old who is currently facing a life sentence in a prison in the state of Tennessee he received a life sentence and the guy who shot the guy did not and I was informed the only way he will be able to fight his case is if Tennessee made a new law by it being something dealing with a juvenile not being able to serve a life sentence is because for the last two years I have been trying to contact different lawyers to get insight on a legal standpoint on what can I do to possibly flight for his case

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bennett James Wills
Bennett James Wills
  • Brentwood, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: More information is needed including the facts and date of conviction. It may be possible that your boyfriend could be eligible for some type of post-conviction relief or re-sentencing. You would be wise to hire an experienced criminal defense attorney with experience in post-conviction type relief efforts to review the case and determine what, if any, options may be available. You may also want to consider contacting a local innocence project organization - some law schools are affiliated.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.