Louisville, KY asked in Probate for Kentucky

Q: How does my husband obtain posession of his things from his deceased parents home?

My husbands parents both recently passed away and the house was left to his brother which is fine. I have certain things in the house that I want including a shot gun that his father told him he could have as they went hunting together all the time. The brother wont hand it over as he thinks it is worth a great deal of money, but it isnt as it is damaged. How does my husband go about getting posession of it, as well as things that are his (strictly sentimental items).

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: Hire an attorney and file a motion in probate court.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.