Salt Lake City, UT asked in Divorce and Family Law for California

Q: Want to modify my support payments to ex when I retire. She got house, I got 401k

Marriage was for 22 years, been divorced since 2009 (12 years). Resident of California at time of divorce, moved out of state since. In divorce wife was awarded the family home and spousal support. I was awarded my 401k retirement. I wish to retire in a year when I turn 65. My plan is to live off of only my 401k distributions until maximum Social Security benefits are available to supplement my income. I will need to have the support to my ex-wife terminated or greatly reduced to accomplish this . How do I go about it? And how much of my 401k distributions would she be eligible for? I in my mind she should not be entitled to any of it.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tobie Brina Waxman
Tobie Brina Waxman
  • Culver City, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Assuming your case was vented here in California, if your retirement impacts your monthly income available for support, you should file a Request for Order re modification of support based on that change in circumstances. In terms of your 401k distributions, income is income for purposes of the calculations used to determine how much support you should pay.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.