Deltona, FL asked in Divorce for Florida

Q: My husband lives out of state. I want a divorce. But I know he will not sign the papers. No children or joint assets.

How do I proceed? Is there a way to file myself?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Ferrin
Michael Ferrin
  • Orlando, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You can file for divorce without your husband's agreement but you need to determine where the case should be filed. To determine where to file the case you need to look at where the parties currently live, how long they have lived there, and what each persons contacts are with each state. I would recommend contacting our office and scheduling an appointment to assist you with your case and determine the proper place to file the divorce.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.