Charlotte, NC asked in Consumer Law for Florida

Q: Can I sue my bank for neglece and stealing money from me?

My bank Space Coast Credit on two different occasions the bank took my money the first time they took my full SSI check and the second time only left me $211.00. I explained to the that I am on SSI and I depend on my check to pay rent and bills and rather than them take my money in one lump sum regardless if I owed them money or not to pay them off in payments I can't afford to have big amounts of money taken from me. Because of that I could not pay my rent and bills and I feel like I am being robed and this is not fare. I don't feel like I am a name or a person to them I feel less than a number.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: It appears that the bank set off funds in your account because you owed the bank money for some reason. If this is the case, yes, they can do it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.