Kenner, LA asked in Real Estate Law for Louisiana

Q: My cousin is gifting me some land In Mississippi. The land is in her husband name and he’s no longer living.

The land is in the husbands estate and she lives in Louisiana. What needs to be done to get this transferred. She has two kids too.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh
  • Baton Rouge, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: When land transfers and a deceased person is involved, my usual answer is to hire a probate/succession lawyer to consult and possibly hire-----you want to make sure the transfer is correctly done and thus the reason you should have legal counsel. Add in the additional factor of the land being out of state, then this only reinforces my recommendation. If the husband succession or probate has been opened, then you need to contact a lawyer licensed in the state where it was opened. If the succession/probate has not been opened, then I would recommend that you start by contacting a succession/probate attorney licensed in the state where the husband resided at time of death. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.