Las Vegas, NV asked in Child Custody for Nevada

Q: Defendant, the mother filed an answer and counterclaim to my custody complaint but did not serve me.

I filed a custody complaint and served the mother within the required time, then she filed an answer and counterclaim but DID NOT serve me those documents. It’s been well over 45 days and we have upcoming court date next week. Since she failed to serve me, can I request default judgement in my favor at court?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Janice Jacovino
Janice Jacovino
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV
  • Licensed in Nevada

A: Good Morning,

The Court will not grant you a default as she has filed an Answer and Counterclaim.

You should attempt to obtain the documents and file your Answer to her Counterclaim. In your Answer add in a line that states you were not served but were made away that the Answer and Counterclaim had been filed and you obtained a copy and are responding.

If you are unable to get the documents, will not have time to respond due to the lack of service or do not want to respond as service was not properly effectuated, then the court will likely set a hearing date ( if one is not already on calendar) and address the service and your response at the hearing.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.