Las Vegas, NV asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Oklahoma

Q: My friends brother is in prison on Utah. His father passed and left the farm in Oklahoma to him and his sister.

He got papers last week saying there’s a court date apr 13 and she taking him to court to get permission to sell . He doesn’t get out until dec and his parole has been approved for Oklahoma and that address. What should he do? He can’t make court next week? He doesn’t know why sister is doing this they aren’t close .

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
James Tack Jr
James Tack Jr
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Oklahoma City, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: It's likely that this is something going on in his father's estate proceeding. There are a number of reasons that the property is being sold. He should hire an attorney to find out what is going on and to protect his interest.

Ellen S Deutsch Taylor
Ellen S Deutsch Taylor
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Ponte Vedra, FL

A: He really needs a local attorney to figure out what is going on in the probate case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.