Ormond Beach, FL asked in Criminal Law for Florida

Q: What is my best approach....attempt to reclassify a felony charge, or attempt to seal as is? I need help.

I was charged with felony child abuse during a time of custodial disagreements with my ex-wife. I have never even spanked our children. under bad advise from a lawyer, I was led to believe adjudication withheld was as simple as not breaking the law, which is no issue, and it would be like this never happened. I now understand that is not the case with adjudication withheld. My life has been uprooted in many different ways. After I researched seal/expunge recently and reviewing FDLE eligibility packet, I may have eligibility issues due to the nature of the offense.... I am confused. upset etc.... Please advise

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jonathan Blecher
Jonathan Blecher
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Miami, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Child abuse, as defined in F.S. 827.03, is an offense not eligible for sealing, as you've discovered. Record sealing restrictions are collateral consequences resulting from withholds for certain offenses, so it's not grounds to reverse your plea of guilty/no contest. https://www.fdle.state.fl.us/Seal-and-Expunge-Process/Reasons-for-Denial.

An attorney can try to have the charge re-classified as child neglect, but I imagine that was attempted at some point. It doesn't hurt to try.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.