Norfolk, VA asked in Child Support for Kentucky

Q: Will I have to pay back child support for children I didn't know that I had?

I married a woman I just started dating because she was pregnant (with twins). We separated after a few months. She told me the kids weren't mine that she was pregnant before we met. I never heard from her again. When she filed for divorce the paperwork said we had no kids. I figured if they were mine she would have contacted me or requested support. This was 6 or 7 years ago. She just contacted me saying if she files for support now I will have a felony for not paying support all these years. If I knew I had kids I would have been in their lives. I know I can't be charged for anything but can she ask for back child support for the years I wasn't in their lives?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: No. You potentially owe support only from the time she files an action going forward. She isn’t entitled to snything prior to that. Obviously, I’d get a dna test bc you can’t believe a word she says.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.