Fayetteville, NC asked in Child Custody and Divorce for North Carolina

Q: I’m in Nc. I’m trying to buy a house so I can leave my husband, how does that work when your trying to leave to divorce?

I know you have to live apart for a year to file for a divorce and live apart to file for custody of children. I’ve been trying for over a year to find someplace to move to, but because of the size of my family no one wants to rent to us, so I’m trying to buy a house but because I’m still married I’m not sure how I can do this, and even if it is possible how far can I move from the town we are currently in with our child?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ben Corcoran
Ben Corcoran
  • Yadkinville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: You can buy a house in your name only, your marital status has nothing to do with it. A bank may not lend you money without your spouse joining but that is completely up to the bank.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.