Three Rivers, MI asked in Real Estate Law, Estate Planning and Probate for Michigan

Q: If my father died with no will and there are two total children, can I finance his mortgage debt and get the house?

My father recently died and had his previous wills canceled for religious reasons but never redid them. When I went to the bank to inform them that he was deceased, they noticed that I was the beneficiary of the accounts and said that I could finance his balance due for 44K or put a full estate together so the house could go to auction to pay for debts and whatnot.

The other sibling in this case was not listed as a beneficiary of the account, which is where I'm confused. Am I able to just finance and become the homeowner? We are on good terms and we're planning a self negotiated split of his belongings, but I'm unsure if from a legal aspect, the house is his given that he owes a mortgage on it. I guess I'm just wondering what the proper method for this would be.

1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Zamzow
Michael Zamzow
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Generally the assets of a decedent must be filed and managed through probate, and it would not likely be permissible to buy the house without probate. Without a will there are statutory rules regarding allocation. This is a situation where you should speak with an attorney to avoid unintentionally incurring liability.

Kenneth V Zichi agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.