Anaheim, CA asked in Child Custody for California

Q: How I can remove parental rights or receive full legal custody on my child.

My child’s father is on her birth certificate, I applied and received child support, but he never been in her life. The last time he saw her is when she was 5 months old, she is 12 now. The problem is that he refusing to sign any documents requiring his signature, I need to get her passport and register her in Bulgaria( my birth country) for duel citizenship, but I can’t without his signature.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tobie Brina Waxman
Tobie Brina Waxman
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Culver City, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Your file a petition for parentage and ask for custody orders, or you can file a separate stand-alone petition for custody. I'm assuming 1) you were not married to the father; and 2) there are no existing custody orders in place. If there are custody orders in place, then you need to amend them so that you have full legal custody. If you instead elect to terminate his parental rights, be advised that you will no longer get child support.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.