Brooklyn, NY asked in Estate Planning for New York

Q: Can an Irrevocable Trust Trustee be changed if all parties agree? Does it take a consent modification or dissolution?

I’d like to change my Trustee from my cousin to my son, all parties are in agreement but I have an irrevocable trust and am not sure if I can just modify it with a consent modification or if I need to dissolve the whole trust and start a new one. Please advise.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael David Siegel
Michael David Siegel
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: The terms of the trust are relevant, but generally, if all interested parties consent, you can amend it. There is a form for doing this. As it is a form, it is not very expensive.

Benjamin Z. Katz agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.