Paris, TX asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Texas

Q: Can cps keep ur kids if u have done everything they have asked and more??

my problem was drinking and i quit and have done everything they asked plus extra. i have an 11 yr old almost 12 yr old and a 6 mo old baby.i think they are trying to give me my baby back cuz my husband is the biological father and leave my son with my parents cuz he loves and trusts them and wants to be there at 12 cant they choose what they want? also they do have a prescription drug problem marijuna etc but cps hasnt tested them and my son doesnt understand all that. can they just do what they want or feel is right no matter what u do in the end is my real question??

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sharita Blacknall
Sharita Blacknall
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Dallas, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: A 12 year old can make his wishes known through his appointed guardian ad litem. It is still up to the Judge to decide whether what the child wants is in the child's best interest.

If you want someone involved in the case drug tested you can file a motion requesting the drug test and let the Judge decide.

If you do not agree with what CPS is planning to do your remedy is to set your case for trial to let either the Judge or a jury decide.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.