Burneyville, OK asked in Probate for Oklahoma

Q: Parents died, brother and I lived in the house, brother then died leaving me as only child left , who gets the house?

All children of my parents are dead I’m the only living child, do I get the house if no will or do I have to split it with nieces and nephews?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN

A: There are too many facts missing from your recitation of them to answer your question. How is the house titled? In what order did the parents die? How far apart were their deaths? How long after that did your brother die? Did he have any children? Do you have any other siblings? Did either of your parents or your brother ever receive needs-based government benefits? If so, at what age did the benefits start? All of these details matter.

In the end you will find that you would be best served by hiring a probate attorney to help you sort this out and get the house retitled along with any other estate assets that need to be retitled.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.