Glenmoore, PA asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Pennsylvania

Q: What can a lawyer do?

My sister-in-law is executor of mother's will. She has not paid inheritance taxes since mother’s death in 02/2017. She will not even have conversation about will. I have been told that my wife, who is sister and co beneficiary in mother’s will, should get a lawyer to help with this issue. What can a lawyer do if sister-in-law will not cooperate and even provide SS number or give estate info concerning assists? And why should my wife pay for lawyer for something that sister-in-law has fiduciary responsibility to do? I guess if we do contact a lawyer we discuss fees concerning this issue at that point in time.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Cherewka
Michael Cherewka
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Wormleysburg, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: First of all are you sure there is a Will? If your sister-in-law claims there is a Will, and that she is named Executor, and if she has done nothing to date your wife has some options, and she needs to meet with an experienced estate attorney to see what option is best. If you think there is a Will but it has not been probated and your wife has not seen the Will she can file a petition to compel the filing of the Will. If you have a copy of the Will, and your wife is named the alternate executor, or if there is no alternate and your wife is the only other sibling, she may be able to file a petition to probate the copy of the Will and ask that she be appointed the executor since her sister has failed to fulfill her fiduciary duties. And if you do not know if there is a Will then your wife can file a petition to be appointed an Administrator to open an intestacy administration. Any of these types of actions will force your sister-in-law to act, or will allow your wife to be appointed to open an estate and move forward.

Jackie Marie Howard agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.