Cleveland, OH asked in Real Estate Law for Ohio

Q: My mom & I are on the deed to my current residence, she doesn't live here, I pay the taxes. I want to sell she doesn't.

There was a verbal contract in place to sign the house over me after my divorce was finalized. She is now unwilling to do that, and she's unwilling to sell and split the money from the sale. She made me a very low ball offer that isn't half of what the house is worth, not sure what can be done at this time as we are estranged and our only form of contact is email or her leaving post it notes on my front door. I am ready to leave this area and want to start over and leave this drama behind me. She's unwilling to make a clean easy break of it, so I'm looking for legal advice on getting the best possible outcome. I am located in Columbus, Ohio

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Andrew Popp
Andrew Popp
  • Ravenna, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: In order to advise you of what the best outcome may be, a more detailed analysis of your situation is needed. An attorney would need to review how the title is held and discuss steps to take. Unfortunately, oral agreements related to real estate are not enforceable due to a legal doctrine known as the statute of frauds. See Section 1335.04 of the Ohio Revised Code.

Best of luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.