Latham, NY asked in Employment Law for New York

Q: Please see "more information" for full question regarding State vs. Federal Labor Law, and which is binding.

I work for a Fortune 125 Corporation in Upstate New York and they've always done random, suspicionless drug testing. They fire folks based on a positive test for THC. It's a supplemental insurance company, and I just work in policy service.

I noticed lately that NY labor law Section 201-D, sub section 2, SEEMS to block them from firing any employees due to recreational use of Marijuana, now that it's Legalized, outside of Company time. And maybe my Corporation has Lawyers working on it and there's a delay in announcing any policy changes...or maybe they're not telling us for a reason, but the Handbook in its current form, under what it tests for, says: "including marijuana, which remains illegal as a matter of Federal Law."

Since they're invoking Federal Law and I know there's some "Federal vs. State" ambiguity over which has the enforcing power, I'm no longer certain that I'm protected.