North Fort Myers, FL asked in Family Law for Florida

Q: Help getting a Deadbeat dad to pay after never paying?

My son is 11 - his dad has never paid any child support, I live in Florida now with my son for 6 years, case is still ongoing he owes me over $50k, support order in place from NY, what can I do, at this point it seems hopeless.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Destardes Moore
Destardes Moore
  • Jacksonville, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Reach out to your local child support office and show them your New York child support order. They should help you enforce child support locally. Another option would be to file a private action in family court to domesticate and enforce the foreign (New York) order. Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.