Aston, PA asked in Probate for Pennsylvania

Q: Dad passed in 2/18. The executors took their share of monies but will not disperse mine until I sign off on house.

Four of us inherited, one of the executors gets a life estate and 40% share of assets and the remaining three get a 20% share of the estate. My siblings took their share of the money last May but the executors will not release my check until I sign off on my acceptance of 20% share of the home upon my sister's death or sale of the home. I have not done this because there is an erroneous IRS lien on his house (it's my deceased brother's lien, he and my dad had the same name) and the co-executors have not had this corrected and removed as requested. They also refuse to properly inventory the assets in the home as requested. I have not had any communication from them since last September. I saw a lawyer who sent them a letter in October 2020 with my requests but they never responded. What are my options at this point?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Cherewka
Michael Cherewka
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Wormleysburg, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: It sounds like your executors are attempting to settle the estate with a Family Settlement Agreement which is the most common way to settle a small estate. If you are not in agreement with the proposed settlement you, as a beneficiary, have a right to request a formal accounting of the estate. You will probably want to hire an attorney to assist you at this stage.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.